[discuss] RFC: Support IEEE 754R draft in the x86-64 psABI

Menezes, Evandro evandro.menezes at amd.com
Mon May 15 17:08:13 CEST 2006

Mike,

> What I worry about is that if I write to a file with one
> compiler I'll get one format encoding and if I use a
> different compiler I might get a different encoding appearing
> in the file.  Files (lots of them) already exist on X86 (and
> other platforms) with the DPD encoding -- a compiler that
> insisted on reading or writing in some different format such
> as BID would be unusable with those data.

Doesn't that happen anyway even with FP data between systems of different endianness?  Isn't file format application-dependent and customer-defined?

Thanks,

Evandro Menezes                          GNU Tools Team
512-602-9940                     Advanced Micro Devices
evandro.menezes at amd.com                      Austin, TX