[discuss] RFC: Support IEEE 754R draft in the x86-64 psABI

Menezes, Evandro evandro.menezes at amd.com
Tue May 16 17:27:46 CEST 2006

Mike,

> > Yet, it is something that the user has to care about.  I agree that
> > adding yet another thing to care about is a burden, but IEEE754
> > created this situation by endorsing two DFP formats.  Whichever, if
> > any, is fixed as the default for x86/x86-64 is immaterial to this
> > burden.  The user will always have to wonder which format
> the DFP data
> is in.
>
> Not if the original format is the only one that's used externally.

I see the value of defaulting to a single format, that's why I think that one should be defined the default for x86/x86-64.  However, which one is a judgment call and we're trying to weigh performance aspects on x86/x86-64 to make this decision.

Thanks,

Evandro Menezes                          GNU Tools Team
512-602-9940                     Advanced Micro Devices
evandro.menezes at amd.com                      Austin, TX