[discuss] Barcelona Machine - kernel panic

Joerg Roedel joerg.roedel at amd.com
Sun Dec 16 13:17:31 CET 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 01:10:45PM +0100, Martin H?fling wrote:
> After several days of full load, it says something like:
>
> HARDWARE ERROR
> CPU 4: Machine Check Exception:       4 Bank 4 ba00000000b0c0f
> TSC 153ce81103777 MISC c008000001000000
> This is not a software problem!
> Run through mcelog --asci to decode and contact you hardware vendor
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Machine check
>
> I completly changed the Memory before, memtest ran fine for several days. This
> time, also no logfile has been written.
>
> Can this be related to the much discussed Bug here on the list?

Yes, it looks like your machine ran into the L2 eviction bug aka erratum
298. Please ask your system vendor for a BIOS update. If you have a self
controlled Linux environment (e.g. building your own kernels) you can
also evaluate the patch posted by us. But mention again that you have to
use it at your OWN risk. We did no systems tests with the patch. There
is absolutly no warranty for it.

Joerg

--
           |           AMD Saxony Limited Liability Company & Co. KG
 Operating |         Wilschdorfer Landstr. 101, 01109 Dresden, Germany
 System    |                  Register Court Dresden: HRA 4896
 Research  |              General Partner authorized to represent:
 Center    |             AMD Saxony LLC (Wilmington, Delaware, US)